Monday, August 31, 2009

Merdeka Weekend Escapade - Part 1

It had been a pretty long weekend as our country just celebrated its 52nd birthday. As most of my colleagues were planning trip to go back to their hometown due to the 3 days off. I was alone as my housemates were not around as well. Saturday was a miserable day as Bayan Lepas was drenched in the worst raining season for several days without uncle sunny out to say hello. Finally my prayers and not forgetting Kah Yern's as he helped to pray as well for a nice weather on a SUNday. It was indeed sunny and bright with the clouds unreasonably beautiful with the bluest sky I indeed expected. I was lazy to get off bed at first but seeing the light entering my window had signaled me to get up quick before the sky turns its colour again.

I planned to go to Cheong Fatt Tze's Mansion after surveying the place through their official website which stated there are 2 tours. First at 11AM and the other one at 3PM. After breakfast at Kayu it was already close to 11PM and I thought there is a free-style tour which we just pay to get in and I'm able to tour the place at my own pace. Too bad it was not the case when I get there. Before getting there, I stopped by the St. George Church which I always pass by and didn't get the chance to stop to take a few snaps. I quickly find a spot as the gate was open and there were several tourist posing for pic.

As I walk towards the door of the church it was under renovation, so I didn't get to see the interior but I'm quite satisfied with the exterior. Don't you think?

St. George Church @ Farquhar Street










Penang Chinese Town Hall @ Pitt Street


Next, I shifted my destination to Pitt Street which was around the corner but still need to make one big round to switch from Farquhar Street to Pitt Street. Pitt Street was known for many of Penang's tourist spot as there were 3 temples which house each Malaysian Race from Masjid Kapitan Keling, Kuan Yin Temple to Kuil Arulmigu Mahamariamman. The Indian temple I had been there twice so did not proceed to go the 3rd time.

I start my journey to the Masjid Kapitan Keling for some exterior shot. Tourist were allowed to enter the mosque but we'll need to wear a head scraft provided by the mosque. I found it quite troublesome and I was wearing shorts. So, pai seh want to go in hehe... It's the month of 7th for chinese and there were a lot of devotees went to temple for prayers. The whole area was quite smokey and it's pretty tough to get a good shot of the temple without the crowd walking around. I still managed to get some shots that I pretty like. Here are some shots taken at Masjid Kapitan Keling as well as Kuan Yin Temple.

Masjid Kapitan Keling @ Pitt Street










Caught these 2 girls in running mode...


Kuan Yin Temple @ Pitt Street








The offerings






Enjoy the pics! Just click to view a bigger version.

2 comments:

Shien Long said...

Beautiful!

Valerie said...

Thanks thanks... :)

Post a Comment

 

Valerie's Inspiration © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness